Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Pretentiously Portentous 2015 New Years Aspirations Of Althea & Me

Well, we have now arrived at day four of the New Year of 2015.

I think I am now settled enough into the New Year to talk about New Year's Eve.

I don't remember if I have mentioned it in New Years previous, but Althea and I have a tradition, inspired by our good friends, the Montagues, where every New Year's Eve we sit down, me with my single malt whiskey, Althea with her gallon of Mogen David wine and three pounds of fudge, to talk about our aspirations for the coming year.

Now, by aspirations we do not mean anything so heavy as a resolution, or even a goal, even though aspirations, resolutions and goals are pretty much the same thing.

For our pretentious purposes we are going to assert that aspirations are a different thing from a resolution or a goal.

A lighter thing.

Less heavy than a resolution or a goal. Nothing daunting like resolving to lose a few hundred pounds. What with it seeming sort of obvious, to anyone with any semblance of sanity, that, if one found oneself a few hundred pounds overweight, common sense would have one aspiring to lose that weight for health and aesthetics, plus ease of going up and down stairs, along with no longer being banned from flying.

I digress.

So, as Althea and I went over our list of aspirations which we had written down for 2014, way back on New Year's Eve of 2013, we were struck by how many of our aspirations had come to pass.

I shan't detail all our aspirations which have come to pass, that would seem way too much like pretentious bragging. And what with one of our 2014 aspirations being to cut back on our high volume of pretentious bragging, well, you get the point.

Suffice to say 2014 was a very good year. Very good.

Also, suffice to say I am a lucky boy and Althea is a very very very lucky girl. Very lucky. Can I say that again without seeming repetitive? Very lucky.

As we drank what remained of our whiskey and wine, Althea and I began to aspire to our aspirations for 2015.

Of course, it goes with out saying, but I will say it anyway, as we decide upon an aspiration we write it down in our Aspirations Notebook.

On the first banking day of the New Year we take our Aspirations Notebook to our bank to secure it in our safety deposit box until the next New Year's Eve. We don't quite understand why this is part of the Annual Aspiration Process, but the Montagues do it, and thus, so do we.

Anyway, I really thought it a thoughtful thing for myself and Althea to share our Annual New Year's Eve Aspiration tradition with others, so that they might aspire to emulate our aspirations....

No comments: